Have you ever wondered about how new things come up into the world, I feel it is all about the human requirement from the problems that arise. Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) is one of the example for the same.
In the construction industry we see many construction methods to build a structure, similarly ‘Insulated concrete forms’ is one of the emerging methods of construction in some parts of the country based on the previous practices and the requirement that has evolved from their existing practices. This reading will take you into a basic understanding of the Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) method of construction.
Insulated concrete forms are nothing but a foam material mostly EPS or XPS which is used as a formwork membrane to construct a wall where the foam board is stacked with webbing (plastic/steel) to keep in place and the reinforcement are placed as per the requirement with concrete filling at the last to make a monolithic structure.
Mostly the ICF method is used for main walls, residential structures of 2 stories. ICF has some good features that a resident can gain out of it i.e., cost-saving, thermal insulation (good R-value), energy efficiency, comfort, safety, sound absorption, high resistance walls, disaster resistance, moisture and vapor resistance, 5 to 6 hours fire resistance.
The builder using this method has the advantage regrading material handling, flexibility in construction, good man-hours working, supply chain, and transportation.
The components of ICF wall: 6 inches and 8 inches – with one/two-sided ICF
- Foam boards: EPS, XPS
- Reinforcement bars
- External and internal finishes (Based on client requirement)
ICF construction steps:
- Concrete platform/garage slab is constructed and markings are done.
- The foam boards are connected with webbing.
- Placing of foam has to start with corner L-shapes, T-shapes, and wherever the joints of the wall are to be started first.
- The remaining length walls are placed so that an easy connection is achieved.
- Make sure the webbing, reinforcement is placed correctly and level checking are done regularly.
- Stick on ICF for sealing, Waterproofing element, and anti-termite treatment at ground level.
- Concrete is poured and vibrated.
- Similarly, the second floor ICF wall continuity is done after slab casting, so that the monolithic wall is achieved.
- Make sure the openings such as windows, doors, and other openings are made on the ICF wall and the element is placed before concreting.
- Plumbing and electrical elements passing are done after casting the ICF wall by embedding it into the foam directly.
- Cladding can be used as external finishing and wall texture elements like wood sheets, wallpaper can be used for internal finishing.
The ICF construction method can be used in the place where the daily temperate variation is noticed: moderate to mixed climate regions.
Thanks for reading, hope you have gained little basic information about ICF.
3 thoughts on “ICF: Insulated Concrete Forms”
Usefull information about insulated concrete forms is provided and waiting for some more interesting construction methods.
Thank you Pawan,
we are regular updating our page with new and interesting content.
Keep visiting our page.
Pingback: A Cardboard Modular House - Civilophilia